So I have decided to go ahead and show you what we have done with the powder room, even though the light fixture has not been selected and installed yet. I am just too excited about it to wait! As many of you know, this has been a long time coming and took much longer than anticipated.
First of all, I want to apologize in advance for the quality of the pics. The room is in the middle of the house, so pretty much zero natural light. And the only light fixture in there currently are bare bulbs from the old light fixture. So the lighting is terrible. Not to mention the fact that it’s just plain hard to photograph such a tiny space. Please keep in mind that the walls are supposed to be a deep lavender/lilac color, not gray!
And now, without further ado…my new powder room!
What we did:
- Painted the walls a deep lilac color.
- Primed and painted the vanity cabinets black and added new hardware.
- Removed the full size towel rod (which made NO sense in a half bath!), and replaced it with a pretty towel ring next to the sink.
- Replaced the toilet paper holder with one that matched the new towel ring.
- Took down the ubiquitous unframed rectangular mirror that is in every bathroom on the planet and replaced it with a pretty white oval mirror.
- Added a magazine basket.
- Accessorized (mostly with stuff we already had).
What it cost (approx.):
- Cabinet primer & paint: $20
- Oval mirror: $35 (Hobby Lobby sale…Orig $70)
- Magazine basket: $8 (Hobby Lobby clearance…Orig $30)
- Tiny bathtub: $10 (Hobby Lobby)
- Vanity hardware: $6 (Lowes)
- Towel ring & toilet paper holder: $30 (Lowes)
- Small black plastic trash can: $3 (Target)
- Everything else we had already (including the wall paint).
What we still want/need to do:
- Light fixture for over the mirror (want to stay under $50).
- Some kind of small rug for the sink area.
- Flooring (won’t do that until we do the flooring for the whole 1st floor of the house).
- 2 small white shelves.
- White subway tile backsplash.